Southern Fried Chicken
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- Season chicken pieces with salt, pepper, and paprika. Roll in flour.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 inch oil to a large, heavy skillet. Heat to approximately 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Place chicken pieces in hot oil. Cover, and fry until golden, turning once, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Cook to an internal temperature of no less that 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Toss cabbage in a large bowl with the carrots. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour the mixture over the cabbage and carrots and toss to coat thoroughly. Refrigerate until serving time.